mercedes forums   mercedes forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum > Mercedes-Benz Forums (Mercedes Cars) > Mercedes SL-Class Forum

Mercedes Forum: How much is this 1989 mercedes benz 560 SL worth?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 PM

Default How much is this 1989 mercedes benz 560 SL worth?

Information:
Year: 1989
Make: Mercedes benz
model: 560 SL
Miles: 140,000
Exterior: Some minor scratches, paint looks good, interior looks good.
I have not driven the car yet, but the owner claims it drives like a dream. he owns his own shop and says he has taken very good care of the car. He has owned it for the last 10 years.

Asking Price: $7500
He also says it comes with "both tops" so im assuming it can have a hard top and a rag top. Would this make is a 1989 benz 560 SL ROADSTER?
Whata waste: I know you are just trying to help, but a quick google search will show you that the 1989 model was the last model for a 20 year run. It is also one of the most sought after mercedes benz ever made. Something like in 1985 it was $10,000 retail in in 1989 it went up to $60,000. *face palm*

lose weight

look it up on KBB.com I did and it only goes back to 1991 but that car is only worth like $3800 and it's a few years newer so I'd say the one your looking at is way over priced.

NADA average is 14950
Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM

i have seen other cars like that and going a few years older than the 1989 and asking prices where above 8000 dollars.

they even ask more than 11 000 dollars when the car looks nicer and the mileage is low.
and if the car has nice colors and was maintained well and even restored, you can easily pay way more than 25 000 dollar.

as you said that the car is not perfect, the asking price seems to me quite good. if it has cracks, scratches (too many) then I would ask the seller to go down to 6000 dollar at least.
how are the tires looking? AND have a look at the rims. if they are not good, the tires might loose air pretty soon.

Dont know if you want this to read, but I say it anyways. Just in case...

does the car shake too much when u drive it? do the test drive!
then it is not good when it is shakey. the air tubes in the car might be not well or there is leaking involved in the piston ring. these causes the car shaking too much.

do a test ride! do it on normal streets but also on a highway where you speed up for a second or 10 :-) test it for minimum 15 min.
That is what I would when going out again to buy a car like that.

try out all the switches. does the radio work, the antenna, the lights, all the electric. does the air condition work and blow nice cold and the heat.
keep in mind that mercedes had one of the worst air conditions!! it is not nice to adjust. you cannot really adjust the nice cold or heat. It is a pain in the neck. best to change the air condition if not likeable.
with that, check under the hood the blower motor while you have it switched on. is it a nice sound? then it is fine. if not, some part of it has to be replaced and you can do it by yourself. you will save a lot of money in doing it yourself, also in buying it yourself.

under the hood. check if everything is there :-) now I mean it. well that was minor but... mine was missing the plastic thing, the hose for the air. getting a new one cost nothing. i always get it for free :-)
well. check if there is a leaking. you can easily see that like at the tubes for the air condition.
check the rubber things under the hood. if they are not soft anymore, they need to be replaced soon. they can crack and break easily.