Seduction of the heart and mind
Stuttgart – 08.20.2015 – Athletic and sporty, the vivid, sensual design of the new C-Class Coupe cuts a fine figure on the road and embodies modern luxury. At the same time, its interior raises elegance and style to a sporty level. Lightweight construction to reduce weight, excellent aerodynamics, and a dynamically-configured chassis, with optional air suspension, form the basis for a high level of suspension comfort, low road noise and tire vibration, agile handling, and driving pleasure. New assistance systems provide safety of the very highest caliber. With its high-class appeal and generous interior, the new C-Class Coupe sets new standards in its segment. It arrives at U.S. dealers in Spring of 2016.
“Our new C-Class Coupe continues the philosophy of our exciting coupes. It combines thrilling design with agile sportiness and modern luxury. The C-Class Coupe therefore clearly pledges itself to stylish driving enjoyment,” states Prof. Dr. Thomas Weber, member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and responsible for Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development.
As the sportiest variant of the C-Class, the Coupe displays its driving enjoyment-oriented character in an emotional and at the same time formally distinct design. A sportily striking front section featuring diamond radiator grille and long hood – the new Coupe is 2.4 inches (60mm) longer than its predecessor between the firewall and front axle alone – gives way to a low greenhouse whose lines flow into a bold and powerful-looking rear end incorporating the Mercedes coupe genes. A high beltline and frameless doors with free-standing exterior mirrors underscore the sporty character.
Clean lines and sensually arranged surfaces structure the side sections into vivid light and shadow effects. One particular highlight is the long, drawn-out dropping line typical of a coupe. In contrast to the C-Class Sedan, the dropping line extends further past the rear wheel arch. To underscore the Coupe’s sporty disposition, the suspension is .6 inches (15mm) lower than that of the Sedan, making it a very sporty proposition when combined with the standard 18-inch wheels.
Interior: generous, dynamic, exquisite
The interior is likewise a statement of the Mercedes-Benz design philosophy and combines emotion with intelligence. Although it exudes athletic and youthful charm, it has grown in maturity. Driver and passengers enjoy an ambience that leans toward the interior of the C-Class Sedan, yet raises it to a new, sporty level. Flowing forms characterize the center console as well as the door and rear side paneling, which smoothly merge into one another to emphasize the coupe character. The individually designed trim elements underscore the sporty character of the interior. A seating system including integral sports seats designed specifically for the Coupe offers sporty comfort, while the standard automatic belt feeder offers additional convenience. The choice of materials and the finish have a hand-crafted feel with high-class appeal and deliver a new take on modern luxury: sportiness without compromising on comfort and exquisite style.
With a 3.1 inch (80mm) longer wheelbase, the C-Class Coupe is 3.7 inches (95 mm) longer and 1.6 inches (40 mm) wider. The increased vehicle volume above all creates more spaciousness for the driver and front passenger. There is more shoulder room, elbow room and headroom in all seats.
The unique interior of the new C-Class Coupe is emphasized by the special upholstery color combinations: saddle brown, porcelain and – in the Edition 1 – nut brown/black with turquoise topstitching.
The C-Class Coupe features a wealth of equipment as standard, including LED headlights, PRE-SAFE®, KEYLESS START, Sport Suspension and a Panorama Sunroof.
The Sport Appearance Package is available as an alternative to further underline the dynamism of the Coupe. It differs by virtue of exterior features such as special bumpers and sills featuring AMG body-styling, a diamond radiator grille with pins in chrome and 18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels. Interior highlights of the Sport Package include exclusive touches such as a sports steering wheel with flattened bottom section and AMG sports pedals.
Suspension – sportily agile and comfortable
The suspension offers a high level of comfort with low road noise and tire vibration while ensuring agile driving dynamics – the basis for driving enjoyment.
A new 4-link front axle with wheel suspension decoupled from the spring strut plays a part in the agile handling characteristics. This enables sporty axle kinematics for plenty of grip and high lateral stability. As a result, the suspension responds more sensitively to steering movements and allows a sporty, agile driving style. Multi-link independent rear suspension with 5 links ensures excellent wheel location qualities and supreme straight-line stability.
A steel sport suspension with tauter springs and damping is standard, lowering the Coupe by .6 inches (15mm) compared to the Sedan.
The Coupe comes with the option of AIRMATIC air suspension on the front and rear axle. Its electronically controlled, continuously adjustable damping on the front and rear axle ensures outstanding road noise and tire vibration characteristics in every situation and gives the driver the option of selecting the desired driving style: sporty, comfortable or consumption-optimized. To this end, the driver can select one of five driving modes using the DYNAMIC SELECT Switch: “ECO”, “Comfort”, “Sport”, “Sport +” and “Individual.” Selecting “Individual” allows the driver to customize the vehicle settings. AIRMATIC also features all-round self-leveling for excellent ride comfort even with the vehicle loaded.
Efficient and lively engine
The C300 Coupe comes equipped with a powerful and efficient 2.0L, four-cylinder gas engine delivering 241 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque, providing sporty performance and enhanced driving pleasure.
Lighter, stiffer and stronger
Intelligent lightweight construction with a higher proportion of aluminum helps make the Coupe lighter than its predecessor. Light-alloy components include the fenders, hood and trunk lid. At the same time, the body is now much stiffer and stronger thanks to the use of high-strength materials, which has a positive effect on not only driving dynamics and noise levels but also crash safety. The Coupe therefore follows a Mercedes-Benz tradition in adhering to the most stringent of internal Mercedes-Benz safety requirements based on what happens in real-life accidents.
Safe semi-autonomous driving to reduce stress
There are several safety and assistance systems based on the Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive concept to choose from. ATTENTION ASSIST with adjustable sensitivity, which can warn the driver of inattentiveness and drowsiness, is included as standard. Further standard equipment includes COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS, which features an acoustic warning for the driver at speeds above 4 mph and Adaptive Brake Assist to help avoid collisions by boosting the braking effect in line with the current situation. When danger of a collision persists and the driver fails to respond, the system is able to carry out autonomous braking at speeds of up to 124 mph, thereby reducing the severity of collisions with slower or stopping vehicles or, in the best-case scenario, even avoiding the collision altogether. At speeds of up to 31 mph the system also brakes in response to stationary vehicles, and is thus able to help prevent rear-end collisions.
New assistance systems with substantially enhanced functions are optionally available, combining data from various sensor technologies such as radar sensors and a stereo camera as part of the Intelligent Drive concept to enhance comfort and safety:
• DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist is an adaptive cruise control system that can adjust the speed of the vehicle in line with a slower-moving vehicle ahead in a speed range from 0 to 124 mph if required. Likewise available from 0 to 124 mph, steering intervention helps the driver stay in lane. And at speeds below 81 mph, for example in traffic jams or when driving bumper to bumper, the system can follow the vehicle ahead even where there are no or unclear lane markings, thus enabling the driver to safety and comfortably follow the flow of traffic.
• As well as vehicles ahead and stationary vehicles, the BAS PLUS Brake Assist System can also detect crossing traffic and boost the braking force if the driver fails to apply the brakes sufficiently; in addition to slower-moving, stopping and stationary vehicles, the PRE-SAFE® Brake can even detect pedestrians and brake autonomously if the driver fails to react, thus preventing accidents up to 31 mph and mitigating the severity of collisions at speeds of up to 45 mph. In flowing traffic the PRE-SAFE® Brake provides assistance according to the same mode of operation throughout the speed range from 4 to 124 mph.
• Enhanced Active Lane Keeping Assist can now also prevent the vehicle from unintentionally drifting out of lane by applying the brakes on one side when the lane markings are solid or broken and there is a risk of collision, e.g. as a result of vehicles overtaking at high speed, parallel traffic or even oncoming traffic.
• PRE-SAFE® PLUS extends the Intelligent Drive functions to take account of imminent rear impacts. It warns the following traffic by activating the rear hazard warning lights at increased frequency and initiating preventive PRE-SAFE® occupant protection measures such as the reversible belt tensioner immediately prior to the impact. If the vehicle is stationary, the brakes are locked to reduce the forward jolt, which reduces the forces acting on the occupants and the risk of secondary collisions.
Optional assistance systems also include:
• Active Parking Assist, which enables semi-automated parking with active steering and brake intervention in both parallel and end-on parking spaces
• A 360° camera which is able to show the vehicle and its surroundings from various perspectives, including a virtual bird’s-eye view, thus assisting with parking and maneuvering
Airbags for safety
In addition to 3-point seat belts with pyrotechnical belt tensioning and belt-force limitation for driver, front passenger and rear passengers, numerous airbags serve to protect the vehicle’s occupants in an accident. These include:
• Frontal protection systems: Adaptive front airbags for driver and front passenger, additionally with a kneebag on the driver’s side
• Side protection systems: Thorax/pelvisbags for driver and front passenger plus front and rear windowbags, with rear sidebags available as an option climate control with satellite navigation
The air conditioning system in the new C-Class Coupe operates efficiently and ensures high air quality. As in the Sedan, it uses satellite navigation to detect tunnels. It therefore closes the air recirculation flap automatically when entering a tunnel and opens it again after exiting a tunnel.
A completely new multimedia generation offers intuitive operation in the new C-Class Coupe, featuring elaborate animations and visual effects which present all the functions in a clear and highly attractive manner. The new C-Class is also equipped with the unique Frontbass system. This avant-garde acoustic system uses the space within the cross-member and side member in the body structure as a resonance chamber for the bass speakers to conjure up a listening experience almost on a par with a concert hall. A Burmester® surround sound system is optionally available.
The navigation system presents its contents in interactive mode. Its features include an animated compass, a “Drive Show” with information for passengers similar to the onscreen presentations on board airplanes and Google Maps displayed on the head unit.
COMAND offers a larger display with a resolution of 960 x 540 pixels and a special bonded glass cover such as is familiar from consumer devices like the iPhone or iPad. The new C-Class will also include mbrace2 connected car technology, including the available option to have over twenty Mercedes-Benz Apps integrated into the COMAND system.